LIRC Questions

Is LIRC the Right Agency for Your Question, Problem, or Comment?

LIRC has a narrow range of responsibilities. Depending on the nature of your question, problem, or comment, it may actually be better for you to submit it to another agency. Please review the following information about what LIRC does.

LIRC is only involved in ruling on appeals of decisions which have been issued by Administrative Law Judges of the Department of Workforce Development in cases involving benefit claims and related issues in the areas of:

If your message does not involve these topics, the following information on how to contact other agencies and services may be of more assistance to you:

General questions about entitlements to unemployment insurance benefits and Worker's compensation benefits or about rights under Wisconsin's anti-discrimination laws, as well as questions about specific pending claims which have not yet been ruled on by an ALJ, are best directed to the Divisions directly responsible for each area:

Each of these websites has a Mail Form which can be used to send an email message directly to that Division.

The laws governing hours of work and overtime, minimum wage, wage payment and claims, occupational health & safety, child labor and work permits, prevailing wage rate laws, and private employment agencies, are administered by the Equal Rights Division. Please contact ERD with questions concerning these topics.

If your question, comment, or inquiry concerns some other aspect of Wisconsin state law or regulation, you may find it helpful to check the List of Wisconsin State Agency Websites at the State of Wisconsin's "Badger" Information Server.

LIRC does not provide legal services, and it cannot provide general legal advice. If you need legal advice or need to obtain legal counsel, you may wish to contact the Lawyer Referral and Information Service sponsored by the Wisconsin Bar Association.